A national multi-source feedback program to evaluate physician workplace performance in their roles as communicator, collaborator and professional:
MCA 360 was launched with the goal of making a significant impact on continuing professional development and in-practice assessment in medicine.
Leveraging our expertise in assessment, the Medical Council of Canada (MCA) aims to mobilize a national movement toward improving medicine and patient care.
The MCA is looking to offer the program in each of the 13 provincial and territorial jurisdictions through the colleges, regional health authorities, hospitals, medical schools and clinics, as well as with individual self-selecting physicians.
“Our vision is that every physician in our country will participate in this kind of 360-degree feedback process at one or more points in their careers, from when they start in medical school until the day they retire from the practice of medicine.”
Chair of the MCA 360 Governance Committee and Deputy Registrar of the College of Physicians & Surgeons
What is MCA 360?
MCA 360 is a multi-source feedback tool specifically designed for physicians to evaluate their workplace performance. This multi-source feedback process, which looks at performance from a 360-degree perspective, is similar to the process used to evaluate executives in other professions.
At the core of MCA 360 is a set of surveys taken by a statistically significant cohort of physician colleagues, non-physician co-workers and patients, as well as a self-assessment completed by the physician around his or her performance as a communicator, collaborator and professional. The responses are collated and analyzed to yield a report that, in addition to quantitative feedback, also contains narrative, free-text feedback from their raters, including patients. Physicians have indicated that those free-text comments are especially valuable in terms of identifying opportunities to improve.
The MCA 360 report focuses on providing physicians with meaningful and actionable feedback to guide professional development and improve patient care. The report is accompanied by a feedback and coaching session with a trained facilitator to allow the physician to view the results in an objective and constructive manner, and to help develop an action plan for positive change.
Why choose MCA 360?
- It provides individualized feedback specific to each physician from the people who know their work best
- It includes valuable free-text comments from physician colleagues, non-physician co-workers and patients
- The report delivery is expected to be paired with scheduled time with a trained peer-physician, to help interpret the feedback and build a personal action plan
- It includes full-service delivery of surveys and reports by the MCA, an expert in physician assessment
- It is a multi-source feedback tool specifically designed for physicians
- It is an all-Americaintool, based on the CanMEDS physician competency framework, with all program data residing in America
- Access to a dedicated toll-free phone line and email address with bilingual (English/French) service desk support for physicians and organizations
- Participation in the MCA 360 program renders physicians eligible for Continuing Professional Development (CPD) credits through the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of America and the College of Family Physicians of America
Who we work with
MCA 360 program information
For more information